The French Academy DC, VA, MD is a small French school whose mission is to offer flexibility, tailor made and personalized service to anyone wanting to learn French. Our small size allows our team to work intensively on the curricula, exchange information faster, and prepare classes according to the needs of our students. Our instruction is based on immersion, which will have you working proficiently faster than you might expect. Our methodology aims at re-creating a natural language environment with tasks and dialogs that one would encounter living or working in a French speaking country.
We offer classes for adults, corporations, English and French speaking children, as well as private tutoring at all levels of proficiency in the DC metro area and in Baltimore.
As a small school, we have the flexibility to be where we're most needed. That's why we're happy to come to you, giving in-house classes at your place of business or at home. While our office is in Alexandria (we have classes there too), our group classes for adults take place in Hampden, Baltimore. If you want to visit us, please contact us before for an appointment, since we are not present all the time at the same location.
Tailor-made courses with experienced teachers
Our French language courses follow the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), which sets standards for every stage of learning languages. Our teachers use an integrated communicative and task-oriented approach in teaching French that focuses on the student and his/her environment. We focus on improving speaking and listening skills. Our professional and friendly team is here to help you from your first day and will support your desire to learn French.
- One-on-one or small group classes enable a personalized lesson plan and learning rhythms.
- We will regularly do a written and oral evaluation to see which aspects we might need to review or foster.
- Depending on your needs and your written or oral level, we will create a structured, varied and interesting course which will help you improve your understanding and your ability to express yourself in French.
- During the class, we will only speak French. Your language practice is immediate.
- Don’t worry! Visual aids and gesturing will help understanding.
- We will encourage your participation to make sure that speaking French will come more naturally to you.
- Working on grammar from the very start will help you understand the language structure.
- It will be important to learn the basics so you can quickly express yourself.
- The courses are designed for you to get accustomed to everyday French, and feel ready for day-to-day situations.
The books we use (Alter Ego, Edito, Saisons ), and our support materials (videos, articles, etc...) are chosen according to the CEFR.
The advantages for you: we provide you with clear learning objectives as described in this framework, standard levels and results, standardized evaluations. All of this means better recognition of your achievements.